What’s a Wayfinder? Using my own words, it’s people or events that will come into my life and challenge me to rethink my path. However, as unpleasant as a Wayfinder is, I need them in my life to make me stronger, and I thank you in advance.
Read this article by Amanda Linette Meder that explains it really well.
A Wayfinder, aka Debbbie Downers or Negative Nancy are in everyone’s life.
- It’s that friend that you know who gives you the look at something you’ve done or said.
- It’s the family member that questions what you’re doing because they just don’t understand.
- It’s the person you meet at a party that poo-poo’s what you do.
- It’s the people that act one way in front of you and another behind your back – and you find out.
- It’s the people that aren’t in your life anymore because they are jealous.
- It’s the people who don’t understand themselves so they aren’t able to understand you.
- It’s the person who will always come up with a remark debunking what you say or do.
- It’s the people that annoy you and prevent you from what YOU want to do.
- It’s the people who make comments that hurt, not because they are true but because you’ve heard them and you feel bad for THEM, not you.
What’s that quote, “what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger”. Not that comments from Wayfinders will kill us but some comments and thoughts they send out sure do hurt BUT it’s up to us to turn a negative into a positive.
I recently had someone approach me at a gathering and say, “you know, you shouldn’t be saying _______ because someone will take it the wrong way.”
Well at first, this upset me because that person was a person that I looked up to. However, after thinking about this a bit more I realized that her comment, just fueled my path and realized SHE had an insecurity about something in her life. She just didn’t know how to react so she lashed out with a negative.
Instead of saying “it’s nice to see that you enjoy writing about your experiences” she just jumped on the negative band wagon with an uncalled for comment.
Her comment made me realize that everything I say and do is for a purpose for my path. I will never intentionally say or do anything if I know it will hurt someone. Having said that, we all know that there is not one person on this earth that can say just one paragraph that will somehow not annoy someone. That’s just how life is.
See how things are meant to be? You will get these Wayfinders in your path a lot, if not everyday. It’s up to YOU to figure out how to process what is said and done so that it makes you a stronger person.
See how things are meant to be? Like I always say, everything happens for a reason and there are no coincidences .
So if you and I are having a conversation and you just see me smile, I just thanked you for your input in making my life better. I will certainly listen to what you say but will continue walking my path with or without you.
What does this all mean? It’s actually a very positive experience. We need all people in our lives to make us who we are not just the people who say “good job” all the time – that’s false and no way to live life.
Life is all about balance but the tricky part comes in on knowing how to balance.